Police Tasing Video Released After Anne Arundel Man Dies: Investigators


Attornery General Anthony Brown on Monday released the body camera video of the Anne Arundel County Police Department tasing Crofton man Lavaughn Coleman on Oct. 29 in Gambrills. A police car is pictured above on another day. (Jacob Baumgart/Patch)

GAMBRILLS, MD - Authorities on Monday released the body-camera video of Anne Arundel County police tasing a Crofton man who died six weeks later. 

The graphic video of the Gambrills tasing is posted here.

A press release identified the now-deceased man as Lavaughn Coleman, 21.

Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown's team said it's investigating this "use of force incident." This is normal protocol anytime officers are involved in a death or a serious injury.

Related: Man Tased By Police Dies In Anne Arundel County, Investigators Say 

The Anne Arundel County Police Department on Oct. 29 responded to the 900 block of Waugh Chapel Way around 4:30 p.m. for a report of two men in a vehicle with guns and drugs, Brown said.

Investigators said officers ordered the two men out of the vehicle as they investigated.

The first man complied and was placed in handcuffs, the attorney general said. 

Brown said the other man, later identified as Coleman, initially complied. 

When the officer then tried to place Coleman in handcuffs, investigators said he stood up, ran, struck the officer and knocked off his body camera.

Cpl A. Stallings pursued Coleman and told him to stop before tasing him, the attorney general said. 

Stallings is a patrol officer with 10 years of experience, the first press release said. Investigators do not release the full first names of involved officers at this stage of the investigation.

Brown said Coleman fell to the ground and hit his head.

Investigators said officers gave first aid and requested medics.

The attorney general said Coleman was taken to an undisclosed hospital and later to a trauma center.

Brown said Coleman was still in the trauma center in critical condition as of Dec. 7.

Investigators said Coleman died Dec. 14.

The attorney general said police notified Brown's Independent Investigations Division the day of the tasing.

Investigators said they took over the investigation on Dec. 6 because of updates to Coleman's condition.

In accordance with state law, the attorney general's Independent Investigations Division will now decide whether to press charges against the officer involved. 

This map shows the area where the attorney general said the tasing happened.

More News from Odenton
I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified