Rattiest Cities In America: Baltimore Makes Annual Rodent List
Patch Regional Manager Deb Belt wrote this story.
BALTIMORE, MD — While Charm City hopes to draw fame for its waterfront, amazing seafood and history, it doesn't want to land on the annual ranking of the "rattiest" cities in the U.S.
Chicago continued its pesky reign at the top of the rodent rating, followed by Los Angeles and New York City, said Orkin pest control's 2023 ranking released on Oct. 30.
In 2022 and again this year, Baltimore ranked No. 7 on the rodent list.
Cities on the Rattiest Cities List are based on the number of new rodent services showcasing the demand and also indicate the efforts that residents and businesses of the top cities have taken to treat rodent issues, Orkin said.
Orkin ranked metro regions by the number of new rodent treatments performed from Sept. 1, 2022, to Aug. 31, 2023. This ranking includes both residential and commercial pest control treatments.
The top 10 rattiest cities are:
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Washington, D.C.
- San Francisco
Orkin offers these tips on keeping your property rat-free:
- Store away food. Small crumbs and garbage are popular food sources, as are dry goods such as grains and cereals. These should be kept in sealed metal or glass containers to prevent contamination.
- Declutter. Cardboard objects prove attractive to rodents, as they tend to chew them up for use in their nests. Take advantage of your extra time at home to clean and organize crowded spaces around the house.
- Maintain your landscaping. Tall grass with adequate harborages, such as woodpiles next to the house, can be ideal habitats for rodents. Tree branches in contact with homes can also offer rodents easy access to the upper levels of your home where they may find a way into the attic.
- Inspect both inside and outside your home. Keep an eye out for rodent droppings, burrows and rub marks along baseboards and walls. The sooner rodents are detected, the better.
- Look for possible entry points. Seal any holes and cracks that are found around your home. Install weather strips around entryways, especially under doors, to help keep mice out of your home.
More News from Odenton
- Cheapest Places To Live In MD Revealed In New Ranking These are the 25 cheapest places to live in Maryland, according to a new ranking.
- Stabbings In Taco Bell, Near Royal Farms Hospitalize Victims In Annapolis: Reports A Taco Bell employee stabbed a colleague in Annapolis, a report said. Two Royal Farms workers helped investigate a stabbing near their store.