Odenton Pizzeria Ranked Among MD's Best: New Report
Patch Regional Manager Deb Belt contributed reporting to this story.
ODENTON, MD - Mamma Roma, located in Odenton, was recently ranked among Maryland's best pizzerias.
The Italian restaurant has the state's second-best New York-style pizza, according to a new data study from The Washington Post.
The Post on Aug. 31 released an analysis of online reviews. The results suggested that only Angeli's Pizzeria in Baltimore had a higher-rated New York-style pizza.
Mamma Roma opened in 2006 in the Piney Orchard Marketplace. Located at 8743 Piney Orchard Parkway, the restaurant added a coffee bar in recent years. The eatery also serves pasta and seafood dishes, but its pizza reigns supreme in these rankings.
"The pizza had a delectable charred but fluffy crust," Severn native Kendoll C. wrote on Yelp. "Unique red sauces loaded [with] large slices of freshly sliced pepperoni-cheesy, melty, classic pizza. It's a bit pricier than other pizzerias in the area for a large pie, but the quality was well-worth it."
Pittsburgh native Gerald H. comes to Baltimore for an annual convention. He drives to Mamma Roma each time.
"Located in a strip mall, the interior atmosphere looks like it's in its own old-world villa building," he said on Yelp. "We have been coming here so many years that Momma and her son always recognize us. Really appreciate how they handle us when we are there, and the love comes through in the food."
The Post said it sifted through 85,000 independent and small-chain restaurants for reviews that mentioned 35 styles of pizza. The newspaper only considered pizzerias that had at least 25 Yelp reviews and where a substantial share mentioned the pizza style in question.
"We ranked them with a simple formula that accounted for rating (most important), number of reviews (important) and how often reviews mentioned that particular pizza style (less important)," The Post said.
Maryland's top pizzerias for other styles were:
- Chicago: Rosati's Pizza (Frederick)
- Detroit: White Rabbit Gastropub (Frederick)
- Neopolitan: Ema Rossi Pizzeria Napoletana (Rockville)
- New Haven: Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana (Bethesda)
- Roman: Via Roma (Camp Springs)
- Sicilian: Giovanna's Italian Kitchen (Parkville)
- Tavern: Little Donna's (Baltimore)
To explore The Post's pizza directory guide, click here.
Customers can visit mammaromas.com to learn more about the Odenton staple.
More News from Odenton
- Anne Arundel County Announces $8M Effort To Restore Eroding Jabez Branch Large portions of Jabez Branch have become unstable, resulting in sediment, debris, and pollutants getting washed into the Severn River with every rain.
- Anne Arundel Schools Receive Top Scores For Exemplary Maintenance Standards Anne Arundel County schools achieved an overall score of 75.51% in the annual IAC report on school maintenance - the highest among Maryland school districts.