Watch: 'Gutsy' Call Wins State Championship for Old Mill

With the game on the line, head coach Chad McCormick put the ball in Rob Chesson's hands for a two-point conversion to win it all.

BALTIMORE — His 49 touchdowns this season set a single-season Maryland record and yet the Quince Orchard Cougars had kept him out of the end zone all night, becoming the first team this season to do so.

But would probably trade all 49 of those touchdowns for the two-point conversion he scored in overtime Friday night, capping  in the 2011 4A state championship game at M&T Bank Stadium.

"Coach McCormick put his trust in me and I thank the coaches for putting the ball in my hands and giving me the opportunity," Chesson said of the game-winning score. 

After Quince Orchard scored in the first overtime—a Billy Plante to Tyrell Williams pass from 7 yards out—Old Mill quickly answered with a touchdown of its own. That's when first-year Old Mill head coach Chad McCormick made a gutsy call—the only call he could make, he revealed after the game.

After Patriots quarterback Deonte Shields scored on a 1-yard run, McCormick called time out and gathered his team for one final pep talk. When they emerged from the huddle, it was clear that McCormick had made the decision to go for the two-point conversion.

"I told them 'It's gut check time.' I told them we were going to win or lose the state championship on that play, and losing wasn't an option," McCormick said of what he told his team during the time out. "I looked at Rob and said, 'You have to get in the end zone.' And he had the confidence to do it."

McCormick said the decision to go for two was a difficult one, but it was the best decision he could make, given the flow of the game. 

"That decision was a tough one, but it would have been tougher to go another four downs against that Quince Orchard defense," McCormick said. "They were tough to move the ball on and we had the opportunity to go for broke and Rob Chesson has been diving into the end zone all year and he dove one more time when we needed it most."

For Dave Mencarini and the Cougars, it was a role reversal for a team that had made good habit of comeback games themselves. 

In 2007, the Cougars trailed Arundel by 16 points in the third quarter before rallying to win, 36-30. Last year in the first round of the playoffs, Quince Orchard overcame a 15-0 deficit to beat Seneca Valley, 19-15. But, this time around, QO was on the receiving end of the late-game heroics. 

Quince Orchard had led all night, including 21-0 late in the first half -- thanks to a pair of rushing touchdowns from Mark Green and a 2-yard pass from Plante to Marty Heyn—and despite having let Old Mill back into the game in the second half, the Cougars still held on to a 28-21 lead with 42 seconds left in the game. 

Just when it looked as though Mencarini and the Cougars were to about to celebrate the school’s third state championship and second in five years, Shields connected with Carl Chance for a 70-yard touchdown pass to make it 28-27 with less than a minute to play. An excessive celebration penalty made the extra point a 35-yard try, but Brady Hannon’s kick was true and Old Mill had tied the game for the first time. 

On the ensuing possession, Plante was intercepted by Torie Wagner, who returned it 33 yards to the Quince Orchard 13 but Hannon’s 30-yard field goal attempt was wide left, which sent the game into overtime where Old Mill would be victorious. 

"Obviously this was a very tough loss," said a teary-eyed Mencarini after the game. "You know how many times we’ve been on the other end of games like these. In my eight years here, I’ve won games like these. And now I know what it feels like to be on the opposite side of it. But one game does not define who we are. I’m really proud of my kids."

Quince Orchard was able to contain Chesson all night, holding the state’s leading rusher to 152 yards on 25 carries—the least amount of yards for Chesson since Sept. 23. 

But in the end, it was Old Mill’s passing game that did the most damage. In addition to Shields’ 70-yard pass late in the fourth quarter, he also had a 64-yard touchdown pass to Wagner on the final play of the third quarter that made it 28-21 with 12 minutes to play. 

Shields finished with 237 yards and three touchdown passes. And his 5-yard touchdown pass to Devin Salisbury with 17 seconds left in the first half made it 21-7 heading into halftime, and sparked the beginning of Old Mill’s momentum.

"You can’t fight both," Mencarini said, adding that their focus on Chesson’s run game may have opened up opportunities for Shields' pass game. "We knew we were rolling the dice a little bit in certain situations."

Latonja Mclendon December 03, 2011 at 04:09 PM
Awesome game from both sides. QO has lots of team spirit and it showed all night. OM team was represented by all of AA County schools. It was great to see the huge amount of fans that showed. Those young men gave their all and came back to show true champions! Great job...
Omar Rodriguez December 03, 2011 at 10:26 PM
chsmm1 December 04, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Congrats OM..you should be proud of hanging tough and not giving up last night. What a great come behind win.
Wona Silbert December 04, 2011 at 01:29 AM
What a game and I don't know anything about football. So many old friends showed up. We were so excited. Happy for the team and the county.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »