On Wednesday, the West Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce hosted a bus tour of all the new development in town. It was a great opportunity to get some updates on all the projects in Odenton and the surrounding area.
Here are some highlights of what I learned, based on information provided by the chamber staff and developers who I spoke with. For further coverage of development in the
- One of the biggest hurdles to development in Odenton has been a lack of sewer service in some areas, but that will soon change. The county is close to awarding a contract for the construction of a sewer line, and work could begin in November. That will force the construction of an extension of Town Center Boulevard from Seven Oaks to the MARC Station. All of this will allow several projects to move forward. The projects include 212 new apartments on Annapolis Road and as much as 3.5 million square feet of development near the intersection of Maryland Route 32 and Annapolis Road.
- Construction of the Flats170 apartments is underway. You can see framework of two buildings now on the site of the old Nevamar facility.
- The new Walgreens on Piney Orchard Parkway is expected to open in November, along with the re-opening of the Rieve's Deli behind it.
- Town Center Commons, across Annapolis Road from the MARC Station, is selling well, with about 50 condominiums sold. Developer AJ Properties is now actively looking for a partner to build a 106-room hotel on the site.
- Development at Waugh Chapel Towne Centre is continuing. The latest project is a 60,000 square-foot office building under construction. The building is located right behind the new Wegmans and is 80 percent leased.
- The Haven at Odenton Gateway apartments near Annapolis and Sappington Station Road are about 70 percent leased and are expected to be full by early next year, if not sooner. Meanwhile, the medical building from Johns Hopkins and Anne Arundel Medical will be occupied by December.
- Homes for America is planning 48 workforce apartments on Berger Street, not far from the Verizon Store.
Check back later this week for a photo gallery of projects in the area.
Be sure to subscribe to our free email newsletters.