Anne Arundel County police said they arrested a man in connection with a motorcycle theft early Thursday in Odenton.
Police said in a news release that about 12:40 a.m. they responded to a report of a theft in progress in the 100 block of Goldsborough Dr. Officers spotted a man riding a motorcycle and began approaching him.
The suspect then rode the motorcycle onto the sidewalk of Town Center Boulevard and ran off into a wooded area, police said.
Officers chased the man into the woods and apprehended him, police said.
Police identified the man as Darren Jerome Barnes, 21, of Capitol Heights. He has been charged with theft and fourth-degree burglary, as well as rogue and vagabond, a misdemeanor charge related to theft of a motor vehicle.
Anne Arundel County police issued the following tips to help prevent motorcycle theft:
- Lock your ignition and remove the key
- Lock the forks or disc brakes with locks that have large, brightly-colored tags
- Add an audible alarm to your motorcycle
- At home, store your bike out of sight in a locked garage or shed
- If parking in a garage, block your bike with automobiles