Two stores at the Village at Waugh Chapel were evacuated Thursday afternoon after a report of smoke coming from a stockroom.
Firefighters came to the Marshall's store in Gambrills at about 12:30 p.m. and found smoke coming from a storage room. They evacuated the store and the adjacent HomeGoods store.
Anne Arundel County Fire Department spokesman Keith Swindle said there was no evidence of a fire and that units were set free to respond to other calls within 15 minutes. Some firefighters remained on scene to investigate the source of the smoke. Shoppers were allowed back in the stores at about 1:30 p.m.
There were no reports of anyone requiring medical attention.