A small child who was playing with a cigarette lighter may have sparked a fire in a townhouse in Severn, resulting in $20,000 in damage to the home.
Firefighters responded at about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday to the 1800 block of Sea Pine Circle and learned that a fire had erupted in an upper floor of a townhouse. The fire was contained by a sprinkler system, and the occupants of the house were alerted by smoke alarms.
About 24 firefighters got the fire under control within 15 minutes and no one was hurt.
Fire investigators learned that the fire began when a 4-year-old child discovered a cigarette lighter.
Three adults and two children were displaced by the fire and received help from the Red Cross.