Skate shops within the Zumiez franchise around the state closed Wednesday evening as the retailer remembered two Zumiez employees killed on Jan. 25 in Columbia.
Police said that Marcus Aguilar, 19, came out of a dressing room and fatally shot Zumiez employees Brianna Benlolo, 21, and Tyler Johnson, 25, on Saturday.
Maryland employees of the skate and surf shop planned to "meet for a private gathering to celebrate the lives of Brianna and Tyler," Zumiez posted on Facebook Wednesday.
The sports retailer based in Washington state operates 472 stores in the United States selling apparel for skateboarding, surfing, snowboarding, BMX and motocross.
Its Maryland stores are located in the White Marsh Mall, Towson Town Center, Arundel Mills, Francis Scott Key Mall, Hagerstown Outlets, Westfield Annapolis, Lakeforest Mall and The Mall in Columbia. The store at the Mall in Columbia has been closed since Saturday and has been boarded up.
"We thank our friends for all the love and support they have shown in the days since this tragedy. The families of Brianna and Tyler are in the thoughts of the Zumiez extended family around the world," Zumiez said.
The Mall in Columbia was holding a candlelight vigil for the victims at 5 p.m. on Thursday in the outdoor plaza by Starbucks.
- No Known Motive in Deadly Shooting at Columbia Mall
- 3 Dead in Shooting at Columbia Mall, Gunman Identified
- 19-Year-Old College Park Man Identified as Columbia Mall Shooter
- Columbia Mall Shooter: Smoked Pot, Aware of Problems, Ready to Die
- Witnesses Describe Gunshots, Chaos in Columbia Mall Shooting
- Shoppers May Retrieve Property from Mall Commons
- Zumiez CEO Issues Statement on Shooting
- Columbia Zumiez Employee: 'She Was One of the Nicest People I've Ever Met'