The following article was submitted by Wendy Sites, Club Leader, Friendship Outdoor Skills 4-H Club.
The weather could not have been better for the weekend events at Meyer Station Nature Center in Odenton.
On Saturday, November 10, over 100 people came to the 42nd 4-H Turkey Shoot. The event was begun by Mr. Buz Meyer, a long-time 4-H volunteer who passed away last year. He would have been thrilled to see that there were 51 Riflery contestants and 40 Archery contestants, which is the largest number to participate in many years.
Mr. Buz Meyer was passionate about nature and youth, and was able to impart a love of the natural world on many youth and adults. Many of those whose lives he touched came to Meyer Station on Sunday, November 11, when the Central MD Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, dedicated a beautiful granite monument to Mr. Buz. The large gray granite bears a smiling picture of Mr. Buz with his name and the phrase "Steward of the Land," for he loved and cared for the natural world and its creatures, and taught many of us to do the same.
4-H Turkey Shoot Winners
Riflery - .22 Rifles
- Junior - Jake Criste, 10 years old, Deale, MD
- Intermediate - Colette Sybert, 13 years old, Pasadena, MD and Friendship Outdoor Skills 4-H Club
- Senior - Cassandra Rose, 14 years old, Arbutus, MD and Friendship Outdoor Skills 4-H Club
- Adult Men - Tyler Anderson, Pasadena, MD, and Friendship Outdoor Skills 4-H Club Alumnus
- Adult Women - Sandy Meyer, Odenton, MD
Archery - Recurve Bow
- Junior - Claire Hughes, 9 years old, Arnold, MD and Anne Arundel Dairy Leasing 4-H Club
- Intermediate - David Degreenia, 12 years old, Severna Park, MD and Kinder Farm Park 4-H Club
- Senior - Sierra Patterson, 14, Pasadena, MD and H-Team 4-H ClubAdult Men - Eric Foster, Gambrills, MD and Friendship Outdoor Skills 4-H Club Parent Volunteer
- Adult Women - Danielle Kahler, Pasadena, MD and H-Team 4-H Club Alumnus
4-H is open to all youth ages 8-18 years old with special programs for youth 5- 7 years old. For more information about 4-H please contact Amanda Wahle, Expension Educator for 4-H & Youth 410-222-6755.