Residents of west Anne Arundel County are preparing for their newest neighbor, the Maryland Live! casino at Arundel Mills.
The casino, which currently includes 3,200 slot machines and electronic table games, is holding an official grand opening at 10 p.m. on Wednesday.
Officials from the developer, The Cordish Companies, will be on hand to celebrate the opening of the casino, which comes about 20 months after voters in Anne Arundel County approved a zoning change to allow slots at the site.
In advance of the casino opening, several agencies have been preparing:
- The Maryland Lottery held a test run Saturday and granted Maryland Live! its operating license on Monday.
- Arundel Mills Mall updated its sign to reflect that it now has two entertainment complexes on the grounds.
- The State Highway Administration is reconfiguring the Baltimore Washington Parkway interchange to help the flow of traffic. It has advised motorists of alternate routes to use until the interchange is completed next week.
- Anne Arundel County has put a new ambulance in service for public safety.
- Maryland Live! has attracted restaurants such as The Cheesecake Factory, Bobby's Burger Palace and The Prime Rib. Restaurants, a concert venue and 1,500 additional slot machines will arrive in phases through October.
"Upon completion, the full facility will represent the third largest commercial casino in the United States," said Joe Weinberg of The Cordish Companies, developer of Maryland Live!
Maryland Live! at Arundel Mills will be open to the public, Sunday through Thursday from 8 a.m to 2 a.m. and Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 a.m.