14 Local Teachers Receive National Board Certification
The certification is the highest teaching credential given to educators in the country. The recipients included five from Millersville Elementary.
Forty-five educators at Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) recently attained the prestigious National Board Certification—the highest teaching credential given to educators in the country.
Among those were 14 from the western portion of the county, including five from Millersville Elementary.
More than 6,200 teachers nationwide earned the honor, and Anne Arundel County’s 45-member class put it seventh in the nation among school systems with certification recipients, according to an AACPS release.
Recipients included educators from Meade High and Meade Middle School, Seven Oaks Elementary, Crofton Elementary, and Old Mill Middle School North and South.
Approximately five percent of all AACPS educators earned the certification, and with the 45 new additions, the county’s grand total reached 355 for 2012, according to the release. Additionally, four members of the 2012 class of recipients earned the certification for their second time—renewing the original honor after 10 years.
“I continue to be incredibly impressed by these teachers who go above and beyond to better themselves and their instructional practices,” said AACPS Superintendent Kevin Maxwell. “Their dedication and passion to be the best helps every child in their classroom and beyond, because it also benefits other teachers in our schools.”
The national average for National Board Certified teachers in county school systems is about three percent, putting Anne Arundel’s five percent total above many districts throughout the nation, and second overall in the state of Maryland.
Below is a list of the educators from west Anne Arundel County who earned the honor and where they teach:
- Jamie Maury, Millersville Elementary School
- Emily Minnigerode, Millersville Elementary School
- Susan Sheehy, Millersville Elementary School
- Angela Foley, Millersville Elementary School
- Theresa Halstad, Millersville Elementary School
- Donald Bailey, Crofton Elementary School
- Deborah Avery Cooke, Seven Oaks Elementary School
- Stacey Coppock, Ridgeway Elementary School
- Karen Jones, Old Mill Middle School North
- Julie Steimel, Old Mill Middle School North & South (renewal)
- Susan Kiser, Arundel Middle School
- Jennifer Swiech, Meade Middle School
- Carolyn Ann Taibi, Jessup Elementary School
- April Umile, Meade High School
For the full list of recipients in Anne Arundel County, check out the article on Anne Arundel Patch.